When growing microorganisms, several conditions must be considered to ensure successful results including correct temperatures and pH, adequate moisture and sufficient nutrients (carbon and nitrogen).
Even experienced microbiologists can run into growth issues with finicky microorganisms. With this in mind, we have created a new series of blog posts that will highlight a variety of tried and true growth methods for creating an environment best suited for reproduction of various microorganism species.
Method for Yeasts and Molds:
Agar: Although many selective agars exist for the cultivation and determination of mold and yeast cultures, a majority of them do not depend on strict nutritive requirements for growth. Many fungal strains will grow on Sabouraud Dextrose Emmons Agar. Alternative agars for growth include Sheep Blood Agar, Nutrient Agar, Tryptic Soy Agar (Soybean Casein Digest), Potato Dextrose Agar, and Standard Methods Agar (Plate Count Agar) with an additional 24 hours of incubation.
Growth Time: 2 to 7 days
The following are microorganisms that can grow using this culture method:
|Alternaria sp.||Paecilomyces sp|
|Aspgergillus sp. 1||Penicillium sp.|
|Aureobasidium sp.||Prototheca sp.|
|Chaetomium sp.||Rhizopus sp.|
|Candida sp.||Rodotorula sp.|
|Cladosporium sp.||Saccharomyces sp.4|
|Cryptococcus sp. 2||Sporidobolus sp.|
|Fusarisum sp.||Streptomyces sp.|
|Geotrichum sp.||Trichoderma sp.|
|Issatchenkia sp.||Trichosporon sp.5|
|Kloeckera sp.||Wallemia sebi|
|Microsporum sp.3||Zygosaccharomyces sp.6|
The strains listed below have slightly altered preferences or requirements for growth:
- Aspgerillus flavus – Does not grow well on Standard Methods Agar.
- Cryptococcus sp. – Must be incubated at 25°C to assure growth! C.gattii grows best on Malt Extract Agar or Sabouraud Dextrose Agar. Non-selective Sheep Blood agar is not a good alternative media for Cryptococcus sp.
- Microsporum canis – Grows poorly on Sabouraud Dextrose Agar.
- Saccharomyces sp. – Sabouraud Dextrose Emmons Agar is the best medium for growth.
- Trichophyton sp. – Incubate 7-14 days.
- Zygosaccharomyces bailii – Does not grow well on non-selective Sheep Blood Agar, Nutrient Agar, or Tryptic Soy Agar. Use Sabouraud dextrose Agar for best results.
Check out our Recommended Growth Requirements for detailed descriptions of all our growth methods.